Sunday, September 8, 2013

Week 3 (September 2-6)

This week was short due to the Labor Day holiday.  I always get off track during 4-day weeks.  I actually did pretty well this week, though, and didn't get too confused with my schedule. 

This week, we were able to add the Daily Depositor component to our Every Day Counts Calendar Math bulletin board.  We began with a million dollars on September 1st, and each day we will subtract $1,000 times the calendar date.  Therefore, on September 4th, we subtracted $4,000.  The students predicted how long it will take for us to spend our $1,000,000.  We shall see who gets the closest. 
In 5th grade, the students take part in prayer groups and we began that this week.  I set them up in groups of three, and they will remain in the same group for the entire school year.  Every day, they meet to share prayer requests and how God is working in their lives.  Each group keeps a Prayer Journal to record their prayer requests and praises.  They spend about 10 minutes with their group praying together.  This creates unity and a stronger sense of community in our classroom.  It's a great way for students to pray for one another. 
In addition to Prayer Groups, we also sing a worship song and visit Operation World's Prayer Calendar to pray for a country in the world. 
We plot on a map the countries we have prayed for.  I can't wait to see this map at the end of the year!
I love that we get to start our day with prayer and worship.

On Thursday night, I held my Parent Tea.  This is an event where parents are invited to school in order to spend a casual evening with their child's teacher.  Refreshments are served, and I was able to share my observations of the class so far, my goals/vision for this year, and some tips for 5th grade.  We closed with a Q&A time.  This evening just allows the parents and teachers to get to know one another better.  It's always a fun night for me.  :)

Week 3 was a short, but enjoyable one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment